Saturday, August 14, 2010

Rediscovery

I am clearing out my studio this summer. Making space for new projects. I came across this bin of old film from the 1960's and 70's. MY OWN FILMS!
I shot a dance film with Lamama trained actors in 1969 from which I saved out takes.  I shot a noir-ish black and white in Marblehead in 1970 which I never finished. I made a  one minute Western in 1973. I made a film for a sculptor in 1975. That film,(The Kinetic Sculpture of Franz Denghausen) is in the Library of Congress. Several others were shown in the early 70's at open screenings at MIT.
I am excited to find this stuff and somewhat puzzled. I wonder now why I put them all away. Maybe it was a sudden decision to move onto other things or maybe I had to make room for some project.
This rediscovery coincides with a fateful bit of coincidence.  In June, an old friend  gave me an old Bolex that he had uncovered clearing out HIS studio. It needed repair and I am shooting test rolls now. I have much more to say about this 16mm re-birth. It triggers something deep and natural in me that I had forgotten about. The anxious pleasure of exposing film is something akin to riding a bicycle in that you give over  and relinquish a degree of control in return for the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment